Thursday, April 23, 2015

Spring Capsule Check-In

I want to check in with you about your Spring Capsules and see how you are all faring.  I know several of you have begun to take on the capsule wardrobe challenge, and I have heard fantastic feedback about how it’s been going so far.  I can’t tell you how ecstatic I am that so many people are getting excited about this more minimal and, over time, more frugal way of dressing.  I have had the great privilege of helping several of you with the beginning stages of clearing out clothes and planning for shopping trips, and it is so encouraging to see the piles of cheap clothes move out to make way for fewer, but better quality, staple pieces that you have carefully chosen to represent your personal style.  I love seeing clothing in our closets that are all color coordinated and lined up neatly rather than all crowded together and shoved willy-nilly onto bowing, creaking rods.  And I hope you have been enjoying the freedom from shopping and the ease of dressing yourself that comes with creating your capsule wardrobe. 

On the home front, the weather has been starting to warm up a bit, and most of my warm, cozy winter sweaters and my down jacket are tucked away in a storage bin, and my lighter layering pieces are taking the spotlight in my airy closet.  I have decided that I needed more color this season, not only because everything is in bloom around me, but also because I have gone so neutral in my Fall and Winter color palettes.  So in addition to the grey, white, and ivory hues that usually occupy my hangers, I have added jade, olive, navy, and more blush pieces to my color palette for Spring.  I hope to carry these same colors over to Summer too.  I am so excited to have a full year of capsules under my belt after Summer so I can focus on maintaining what I have now.  I am sure there will be items each season in upcoming years that I will want to purchase as new core pieces, and I am sure my style will change too.  But I have a much better grasp of my likes and dislikes, what fits and what’s not for me, and what my personal style really is.  And instead of work, I am hoping that maintaing my existing capsules will become fun.  I also hope to challenge myself in cutting down my number of forty pieces (including shoes) for each season; I would love to eventually see the twenties or even (gasp!) the teens.  

Here’s what I learned after putting my Spring capsule together:

-Because the weather is so unpredictable in Springtime, it was harder to incorporate enough of each type of piece so that I can layer and remove pieces as needed each day.  And this goes for shoes too- I needed to keep a range from warm rain boots to summer sandals.  I found that I used all 40 of my slots this Spring.  I hope to learn a lot after the season is over so I can adjust what I did and didn’t need for next year.       

-Choosing timeless colors that are also flattering is very hard.  When I commit to a piece now, I am committing to wearing it for years to come, so I know if I choose a color that I will think is crazy or boring in future years, it will mean more work.  Jewel tones seem to be pretty safe for every skin tone and they also seem to be somewhat timeless in the fashion industry.  We will see how it works- only time will tell.

-I have a desire to be more bold this season, but I have found that accessories can sometimes be all I need to accomplish this.  A belt, hat, or bag can be just the ticket to get the overall look I want.  I hope, as I get into future capsules that I can find a statement piece or two for each season that is a little edgier (I love Marissa Webb’s line, for example).  

Here’s my 40-item breakdown:



4 pairs of pants
2 skirts
3 dresses
2 layering tanks
2 tanks
7 tees
3 short-sleeve sweaters
4 long-sleeve shirts
3 long-sleeve cardigans
1 chambray
2 jackets
3 pairs of booties
1 pair of knee-high boots
1 pair of flats
2 pairs of sandals

I decided to purchase another handbag, which is not included in the capsule number since it is an accessory.  I had only one (my brown tote) but I decided to get a black satchel that zips closed; it will be better for travel too to have something that closes securely.  I also added a leopard print clutch- I have always loved how they finish a look and I found a great sale on a good quality one.  

What I am currently ISO (in search of): a floppy hat.

Thank you for reading, and please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions or comments!   

No comments:

Post a Comment