Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Shampoo

Before I begin to explain this recipe, I'd like to prepare you by saying that this is more like a shampoo "tea."  I may have lost a lot of you there, but I assure you that it works and it will save you a lot of money if you decide to try this recipe.  The only disclaimer is that you need to allow your hair a couple of weeks to adjust to the new shampoo.  Most of the shampoos we use today are so full of harsh chemicals that your scalp over-produces it's natural oils to keep up.  So when you suddenly take away the chemicals, your skin needs time to regulate again, but it will get there.  And I assure you that your hair is getting clean with this recipe.  People often associate the cleaning abilities of shampoo with the lather it produces.  But it is not those tiny bubbles that are cleaning your hair and skin, it's those pesky chemicals again.  Here's another way to be mindful of what you're putting on your skin.

First you need supplies.  Since you could literally drink this tea (but I don't recommend it), you don't need and special pots or utensils- you can use what you cook with.  You will need cheese cloth or some other type of reusable tea bag, herbs, baking soda, and water.  If you really crave some lather, you can also add some pure Castile liquid soap into the final product, but only if your hair is not dyed.  Castile soap is very alkaline and can strip hair color.

The herbs in this recipe are customized for my hair type, and you can do the same.  My hair is light brown, fairly dry, and wavy, so if you have the same type, you can just follow my recipe.  For all other readers, I have listed several herbs that can be used to make your shampoo, and the benefits of each.





What I use:

Rosemary-helps with circulation, a good herb for dark brown hair
Chamomile- soothing, good herb for blonde hair
Nettle-a good source of nutrients, anti-inflammatory
Burdock Root-soothes skin, anti-inflammatory, antioxidants
Raspberry Leaves-antioxidants
Lavender- fragrance, cleansing, helps with circulation
Rose Petals-fragrance

Other herbs to choose from:

Calendula- supports healthy skin, anti-inflammatory
Orange/Lemon Peel- fragrance, cleansing
Mint- fragrance, cleansing, helps with circulation
Thyme- cleansing

There are many other herbs and flowers to choose from as well.  Just do some research to find out their healing properties, any color that they carry so as not to stain light colored hair, and whether or not they are safe if you're pregnant.  Also keep in mind that some herbs are more expensive, which effects which ones I will buy.

Once you have your herbs, you can assemble your tea bag. Add about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of each herb to your reusable tea bag or cheesecloth and close it tight. I use a hairband to close my herbs in my cheesecloth.

Bring about 4-8 cups of water to a boil. I store my shampoo in two resealable glass bottles (from Ikea), so I usually make about 6 cups at one time. You can use as much water as you like.

Drop your herb packet into your water and let it simmer on medium low about 20 minutes. I will use a wooden spoon and "press" my herbs every few minutes to help all of their oils steep into the water.

Once your tea is as dark as you want it, remove it from the heat. At this point you can add your cleaning agent- baking soda. I add about 1/4 cup into my tea and stir until it is dissolved. If your hair is very dry, you can add less baking soda. If your hair is oily, add a little more. But baking soda can be hard on your hair, so add sparingly until you know how your hair will react to it.

At this point you can also add your Castile soap if you choose. I would start with about 1/4-1/2 cup, and add more until you reach a consistency or lather that you like.

Feel free to add essential oils if you like, but remember that they are oil, so they might make your hair look dirty if you use too much.

I use an empty squeeze bottle to apply my shampoo in the shower. You could buy ketchup and mustard bottles at the dollar store, or just recycle one you have in your kitchen. Mine used to hold agave.

I hope you enjoy your new shampoo. I love how easy, affordable, and customizable it is. And of course, I love that it is chemical free. Our skin is so absorbent, so you can feel at ease with this recipe.  




On a separate note, I would like to share about one of my latest projects.  When my husband and I moved into our current home, we could not fit our sofa through the door, despite ours and our friends' best efforts.  Luckily, one of the families that helped us move just happened to need a sleeper sofa, so they bought it from us.  So we went onto craigslist and found a daybed to use as seating in our living room.  The only problem was finding enough large pillows to make it a comfortable place for people to sit.  Luckily, after telling my sister about how expensive Euro pillows can be, she said she had two that she wasn't using, but I would have to make new covers for them because the fabric was very dated.  I found a window curtain at a local thrift store, which cost seven dollars, and I sewed new cases last weekend.  Here is the finished product, and each pillow only cost me $3.50:


We really liked the idea of a daybed as additional seating because when we finally get our daughter home (to read more, check out our adoption blog at www.doingforone.org) she can use it as her bed when she outgrows her crib.  

What are some things you have done lately to reuse and upcycle old items...I would love to hear from you.  And thank you for reading about our mindful home.



1 comment:

  1. Yo! Nice pillows ;) Glad you could use them. For all of the moms out there- I reuse the tiny glass jars that baby food comes in to store the baby food I'll eventually be making once I find out what my daughter likes. They're great for lots of other things as well- bobby pin holder, rings, dried herbs, paperclips, and even as a paintbrush holder, or use it for water when your little one is painting with watercolors. So many uses for this little tiny jar. I love to paint a square on my jars with chalkboard paint and write what I'm storing in it. Fun and functional!

    ReplyDelete